This article discusses about Philippine merchant marine academy, which is most reputed university in island nation.
About This Academy
The Philippine Merchant Marine Academy (PMMA) is a government-owned maritime academy in the Philippines. It was established in 1820 and is considered one of the premier maritime schools in the country. The academy offers a Bachelor of Science in Marine Transportation (BSMT) and a Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering (BSMarE) degree programs, which provide comprehensive training for aspiring seafarers.
The PMMA has a rigorous admission process, which includes academic requirements, physical fitness tests, and entrance examinations. Once admitted, students undergo a four-year training program that includes classroom lectures, laboratory work, and on-the-job training on board ships. The academy also provides opportunities for students to participate in international exchange programs and training cruises.
The PMMA has a rich history and has produced many prominent alumni, including former Philippine President Fidel Ramos and several members of the Philippine Navy. The academy is also known for its commitment to producing well-trained and disciplined seafarers who uphold high standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
Admission Process Philippine merchant marine academy
- Application Procedure: Interested applicant who wishes to take the Entrance Examination should fill up the form from this link: https://pims.pmma.edu.ph/
2) PMMA Entrance Examination:
Every year, on the last Saturday of September, the Academy conducts its Entrance Examination in selected Testing Centers throughout the country. The test comprises objective-type questions that cover the core subjects studied by high school graduates, which include Vocabulary, Grammar, Analogy, Reading Comprehension in English; Algebra, Geometry, Statistics and Trigonometry in Mathematics; General Science, Chemistry and Physics in Science, and Abstract Reasoning.
Once an applicant’s qualifications have been approved, the Admissions Office will issue them a permit to take the test. The permit will be sent via email to the applicant’s provided email address.
It’s essential to note the following before the exam:
- Arrive at least one hour before the exam begins.
- Bring the Test Permit, along with a 2×2 picture attached to it.
- Carry a valid ID and a Mongol Number 2 pencil.
- Calculators are not allowed.
- Dress appropriately (Avoid sleeveless shirts, short pants, and slippers).
3) Neuro-Psychological Evaluation
Once candidates pass the entrance examination, they undergo further assessment to evaluate their psychological health, which includes measuring their:
- IQ for assessing their intelligence
- EQ for evaluating their emotional stability
- Personality profiling for gaining insight into their personality traits.
4) Medical Screening
Even after successfully passing the Neuro-Psychological Evaluation, examinees must fulfill and pass the subsequent requirements to qualify for admission, which include:
- Pre-Medical assessment
- Height/Weight measurement requirements
- Ishihara color perception test
- Snellen’s Eye Test
- Dental examination
- Laboratory examination
- Physical examination
5) Orientation and Training
The Summer Orientation Training is a rigorous one and a half month indoctrination course for probationary midshipmen. During the entire duration of the program, they are quartered at the PMMA compound and are not allowed to have visitors from family or friends.
The “probies” are subject to a demanding schedule consisting of military training, refresher courses in Mathematics and English, as well as introductory lectures in Navigation or Marine Engineering.
Applicants who successfully qualified for the Orientation Training are required to report to the Philippine Merchant Marine Academy on July 1st.
6) Appointment as Midshipman
To qualify, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a physically fit natural-born Filipino citizen, regardless of gender.
- Should be single and have never been married, nor have any children out of wedlock.
- Should have a clean record with no accusations or convictions of any crime against the law or state.
- Must be at least 17 years old but not more than 23 years old upon enrollment on August 01.
- Should be a Grade 12 student or College Level.
- Should be at least 160 centimeters (5 ft. & 3 in.) for male applicants and 155 centimeters (5 ft. & 1 in.) for female applicants.
- Should have a BMI of less than 25.
- Should have a good academic performance.
- Should not have been previously enrolled in PMMA.