dg shipping e learning stcw, in this article we will discuss all details required by the students for doing various STCW courses through DGS e portal.
dg shipping e learning stcw
If you are a seafarer who wants to upgrade your skills and qualifications, you might be interested in DG Shipping E-Learning, an online platform that offers STCW modular courses for Officers and Ratings. STCW stands for Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping, and it is a set of international regulations that ensure the competency and safety of seafarers.
DG Shipping E-Learning was introduced by the Directorate General of Shipping, Government of India, in 2020, as a way to enhance the knowledge of seafarers and make the learning process more convenient and accessible. It is mandatory for all Indian seafarers who wish to do STCW courses, including refresher courses.
dgs e learning stcw-how does it work?
There are two parts of dgs e learning stcw
- Modular Courses
- Competency Courses
The Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) is the regulatory authority for maritime affairs in India. It oversees the training and certification of seafarers, as well as the safety and security of shipping. In order to ensure the quality and standardization of modular courses, DGS has introduced a 3-tier e-learning approach for all seafarers.
The 3-tier e-learning approach consists of the following steps:
1. E-learning: The seafarer has to register on the DGS website and complete the online modules for the desired course. The e-learning modules cover the theoretical aspects of the course and include interactive quizzes and videos. The seafarer has to complete a minimum number of study hours and pass an online exit exam to qualify for the next step.
2. Practical training: The seafarer has to enroll in a DGS-approved institute and undergo practical training for the desired course. The practical training covers the hands-on aspects of the course and includes demonstrations, simulations, drills and exercises. The seafarer has to attend all the sessions and pass a practical assessment to qualify for the next step.
3. Final assessment: The seafarer has to appear for a final assessment at a DGS-approved examination center. The final assessment consists of a written exam and/or an oral exam, depending on the course. The seafarer has to score a minimum percentage of marks to pass the final assessment and obtain the certificate for the course.
DG Shipping E-Learning Modular Courses List
– Basic Modular Courses: These courses are required for all seafarers who want to join a ship for the first time or after a long gap. They include:
– Basic Safety – Elementary First Aid (EFA)
– Basic Safety – Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF)
– Basic Safety – Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities (PSSR)
– Basic Safety – Personal Survival Techniques (PST)
– Security Training for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (STSDSD)
– Advanced Modular Courses: These courses are required for seafarers who want to upgrade their rank or function on board a ship. They include:
– Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF)
– Medical First Aid (MFA)
– Medical Care (MC)
– Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats (PSCRB)
– Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB)
– Ship Security Officer (SSO)
– Company Security Officer (CSO)
– Port Facility Security Officer (PFSO)
– High Voltage Safety and Switch Gear Course – Operational Level (HVSO)
– High Voltage Safety and Switch Gear Course – Management Level (HVSM)
– Refresher and Updating Modular Courses: These courses are required for seafarers who want to renew their COC or endorsement as per STCW 2010. They include:
– Refresher and Updating Course for all Engineers (RUCE)
– Refresher and Updating Course for all Deck Officers (RUCD)
– Refresher Training in Advanced Fire Fighting (RTAFF)
– Refresher Training in Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats (RTPSCRB)
– Refresher Training in Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (RTPFRB)
– Additional STCW Courses: These courses are required for seafarers who want to work on specific types of ships or perform specific functions on board a ship. They include:
– Advanced Training for ships using fuels covered within the IGF Code (IGFA)
– Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations (ATOTCO)
– Advanced Training for Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations (ATCTCO)
– Advanced Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations (ATLGTCO)
– Passenger Ship Familiarization Course (PSFC)
– Passenger Ship Safety Course (PSSC)
To know more about each course, its eligibility criteria, duration, fees, syllabus, etc., you can visit the DGS website or contact any DGS-approved institute near you.
The students have to complete a minimum number of e-learning study hours for each course, as specified by the DGS. They also have to pass an online assessment with a minimum pass mark, which varies depending on the course. The online assessment can be attempted only after completing the e-learning study hours and attending the live Q&A sessions.
After passing the online assessment, the students have to appear for an exit exam at a designated DGS approved center. The exit exam is a practical test that evaluates the students’ skills and abilities in performing the tasks related to the course. The exit exam can be booked through the LMS portal after paying a fee.
Upon successful completion of the exit exam, the students will receive a certificate of proficiency from the DGS, which will be valid for five years. The certificate can be used as a proof of qualification for working on board ships or applying for jobs in the maritime industry.
DG Shipping E-Learning Competency Courses List
Marine Engineering Officers
MEO Class 4
MEO Class 2
MEO Class 1
e learning login dg shipping?
To enroll for DG Shipping E-Learning, you need to follow these steps:
– Visit https://dgsstcw.aduacademy.in/ and register yourself as a student by providing your personal details and uploading your documents.
– Choose the course you want to enroll for from the list of available courses on the LMS portal.
– The it will verify your attendance with photos.
– Start your e-learning journey by accessing the modules and also attending the live Q&A sessions.
– Complete the online assessment.
– Appear for the exit exam at a DGS approved center and get your certificate.
DG Shipping E-Learning is a great opportunity for seafarers who want to enhance their skills and qualifications in accordance with STCW standards. It is also a convenient and cost-effective way to learn from anywhere and anytime. If you are interested in DG Shipping E-Learning, visit https://dgsstcw.aduacademy.in/.