maritime education Merchant Marine US Navy Ships

USCG-719B-Apply for a Merchant Mariner Credential

How to Apply for a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) Using Form CG-719B. If you are interested in working as a merchant mariner, you will need to obtain a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) from the U.S. Coast Guard. The MMC is a document that certifies your identity, nationality, medical fitness, training, and qualifications for various maritime positions. The MMC also serves as a government id for international travel on merchant vessels.

To apply for an MMC, you will need to fill out and submit Form CG-719B, which is the Application for Merchant Mariner Credential. This form can be downloaded from the National Maritime Center (NMC) website or obtained from a Regional Examination Center (REC). In this blog post, we will explain how to complete Form CG-719B and what other documents and fees you will need to submit with your application.

Form USCG-719B

Step 1: Fill out Section I: Applicant Information

In this section, you will need to provide your personal information, such as your legal name, date of birth, citizenship, place of birth, and contact information. You will also need to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), Reference Number (if you have been credentialed by the Coast Guard before), and Alien Registration Number (if you are a legal alien).

Make sure to enter your information accurately and legibly. If you are under 18 years of age, you will need a notarized statement from your legal guardian authorizing the Coast Guard to issue you a credential.

Step 2: Fill out Section II: Requested Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) and endorsements

In this section, you will need to indicate what type of MMC and endorsements you are applying for. You can choose from the following categories:

– Entry Level
– Qualified Rating
– Officer
– Staff Officer
– Pilot
– STCW Endorsement
– Certificate of Registry

You will also need to specify the capacity, scope, and limitations of the endorsements you are seeking. For example, if you are applying for an officer endorsement as a master of vessels of less than 100 gross register tons (GRT), you will need to indicate whether you want it for inland waters, near coastal waters, or both.

You will also need to indicate whether you have completed the required training and examinations for the endorsements you are seeking. You can find the requirements for each endorsement on the NMC website or in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR).

Step 3: Fill out Section III: Safety and Suitability

In this section, you will need to provide information about your safety and suitability for maritime service. You will need to answer questions about your criminal history, drug use, alcohol abuse, medical conditions, physical disabilities, character references, and previous maritime service.

You will also need to indicate whether you have a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), which is required for access to secure areas of vessels and facilities. If you do not have a TWIC, you will need to apply for one separately from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

You will also need to disclose any pending actions or investigations against you by any maritime authority or employer. You will also need to consent to a background check by the Coast Guard and authorize them to obtain any relevant records or information about you.

Step 4: Fill out Section IV: Oath

In this section, you will need to sign and date the form in front of a Coast Guard official or a notary public. You will also need to swear or affirm that the information you provided on the form is true and complete to the best of your knowledge.

Step 5: Submit your application

Once you have completed Form USCG-719B and gathered all the necessary supporting documents and fees, you can submit your application to an REC by mail, e-mail, fax, or in person. The NMC does not accept applications directly from mariners, except for Medical Certificate only applications.

The supporting documents for CG-719B

– Proof of identity and citizenship
– Proof of sea service
– Proof of training and examinations
– Medical Certificate application (Form CG-719K or CG-719K/E)
– Drug test results
– Conviction statement (Form CG-719C)
– Character references
– Shipping articles or discharge certificates
– TWIC enrollment receipt or card

The fees may vary depending on the type and number of endorsements you are applying for. You can find the fee schedule on the NMC website or in the CFR.

You can check the status of your application online using the NMC’s online tool or by calling 1-888-IASKNMC

MG Staff
This post is brought to you by staff. Hope you enjoyed reading every bit of it. Follow us here:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *