GP rating course refers to the General Purpose (GP) Rating course, which is a pre-sea training program for candidates who wish to work in the deck or engine departments of merchant navy ships.
The course is typically a 6-month program that covers a range of subjects related to the maritime industry, including navigation, cargo handling, ship maintenance, firefighting, and first aid. Candidates who successfully complete the course are eligible to work as deck or engine crew members on merchant navy vessels.
In order to enroll, candidates must meet certain eligibility criteria, such as age, educational qualifications, and physical fitness standards. The course is offered by a number of maritime training institutes in India and other countries.
To get admission, candidates need to apply to the training institutes that offer this course. The admission process typically includes a written entrance exam, a physical fitness test, and an interview. The entrance exam may cover subjects such as mathematics, science, and general knowledge.
Overall, it is a good option for individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in the maritime industry, as it provides them with the necessary knowledge and skills to work as crew members on board merchant navy ships.
Here are some more details about this course:
GP rating course Eligibility criteria
- Age: Candidates must be between 17.5 to 25 years of age at the time of admission.
- Educational qualifications: Candidates must have completed their 10th standard or equivalent from a recognized board with a minimum of 40% marks in aggregate.
- Physical fitness: Candidates must meet certain physical fitness standards, including minimum height, weight, and eyesight requirements.
It covers a range of topics related to the maritime industry, including:
- Navigation: Charts and publications, basic ship handling, rules of the road, ship stability, and ship construction.
- Cargo handling: Cargo types, stowage and securing, cargo gear, and cargo documentation.
- Ship maintenance: Engine room operations, machinery and equipment, safety and security, and pollution prevention.
- Firefighting and first aid: Fire prevention and firefighting techniques, first aid, and safety procedures.
Course duration and fees: This course is typically a 6-month program, although the duration may vary depending on the training institute. The course fees also vary depending on the institute and location, but generally range from INR 50,000 to INR 3 lakhs.
Career prospects: After completing the GP Rating course, candidates can work as deck or engine crew members on board merchant navy vessels. With experience and further training, they can also progress to higher positions such as deck officer, marine engineer, or captain.
Overall, the GP Rating course provides a good foundation for a career in the maritime industry, and can be a good option for individuals who are interested in working on board ships.
GP rating course approved institutes
There are more than 50 approved institutes in India by DG for gp rating course. A students should only pursue course from an approved college. Here is the latest list of institutes which are approved.