This article discusses about the Saturday routines or Weekly checks on ship that you need to carry out every week for crucial machineries like fire pumps etc. In this post we will see the comprehensive list of some of those crucial activities that we carry out onboard every week.
Saturday routines (may be Friday checks also), are called as weekly checks.
These are required in order to keep an eye on the performance of the crucial equipments and setup onboard that are needed for the safety of the ship and smooth working of the ship.
These weekly checks are part of the safety management system onboard vessels. Responsible officer have to sign on the checklist of weekly tests.
Weekly Checks on Ship or Saturday Routines
1) Checking of Lifeboats
In this you have to checks lifeboat engines like oil level, lights etc. Run the engine for at least 2 minutes, and test the steering also.
Checking of rescue boats
Checking the engine. Make sure that you have adequate cooling arrangement for this type of engine
Checking the Davits
Check for the movements and oil level.
Fire Pump Check and Also the emergency fire pump During running check the amps and the pressure developed by the pump. These two are of utmost importance.
Bilge Alarms of the engine rooms
6) Checking the bilge alarm for the passageway.
Doing Water in oil test for important machineries like generators, main engine etc.
Cooling water tests for the main engine.
9) Oil presence alarms for the de-aerator tank of
the boiler to be tested.
10) Watertight doors needs to be checked.
11) Emergency generator
is checked for proper working. It is advisable to run it for some time like 10 to 15 minutes, whenever you are doing the weekly checks.
12) Watertight doors are checked for proper functioning. Check the level of oil for the hydraulic system of the doors.
13) Engine room fire flaps are checked for proper opening and closing.
14) Co2 room is checked for power and any loose connection.
15) Check the quick closing valve panel for the oil level in it. Correct oil level makes sure that this system will work better in case of emergency.
16) If the ship is equipped with bow thruster and heeling pump, then you need to check the oil level, the condition of grease etc.
17) The condition of control air dryer like drain functioning, filter etc needs to be taken care off.
18) The vents on the deck are checked for proper condition and working.
19) If your ships has passageway, then you need to check them for leakage and test the bilge alarms in there.
20) Carry out the weekly checks on the sewage treatment like UV light checker, the level of sludge etc. Back flushing also needs to be done. Chemical powder for the bacteria growth can also be added.
Number of checks may increase or decrease as per the type of vessel you are sailing, but the ones that are stated above are standard ones.
So this was all from this article on weekly checks on ship. Hope you enjoyed reading it. If you have something to add in this, then please comment below.